PT 103--first of the 80-foot Elcos--departs the Elco dock shortly after its launching, May 16, 1942. Note the abscence of mufflers. The boat would be placed into service with the Navy on June 12, 1942 and was the first boat to join MTB Squadron Five when the squadron was commissioned on June 16.(National Archives)
These photographs show the PT's of MTB Squadron Five in July and August 1942, during shakedown activities and preparation for transshipment overseas. On this page, several of the boats are underway performing formation maneuvers, July 1942.